[AccessD] WHS on Raid

Mark Breen marklbreen at gmail.com
Sat Dec 29 09:31:22 CST 2007

Hello John Colby and all my old Friends from AccessD

Happy new year to you all from chilly Ireland

I have been reading with much interest your posts on WHS.  It is a
fascinating product that MS have produced.

John,
Do I understand it right that you have purchased the hardware and are
running it now already at home?
I understand that it is not supplied as a software only solution, but does
that mean that you had to buy hardware as well as the software, I would love
to just buy the software and use my existing hardware.
I am presuming that it will work in an environment where Win2K3 is
installed?  is that an OK presumption?
I understand that it is only for home use now, but do you think that they
will eventually bring it to the corporate environment ?
Is it a hassle to install ?
I bought the 120 Day eval last night for approx 10 USD from MS so I guess I
will receive the CD in a few weeks.  I also guess that I can install that
eval version on my own hardware

Finally,

In line with another post about a man that provides online backup services,
Does any one else think that providing this as a service to local companies
is a viable commercial venture ?

I currently backup a clients network to an offsite location, using a program
named DeltaSync which is based on RSync from the Linux Environment and it
works a treat, my only complaint is that it does not allow me to step back
1,2,3,4 days, and 1,2,3,4 weeks and then 1-12 months, I only ever have one
or two snapshots of all data offsite.

Since I read you post, I have been trying not to get sucked into this
discussion, but it is too interesting to avoid :)

Thanks,

Mark