[AccessD] Design Question

JWColby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Tue Feb 6 12:30:06 CST 2007

Given the possibility of having multiples, I would probably have the
individual object tables, then one big m-m "relationship" table where I
placed:

PEID
FACID
HDWRID
SFTWRID
SVCAGRID

Probably you would want other info about the relationship such as when the
relationship was established and when the relationship terminated:

DteEst
DteTerm

"multiples" come from new records in the relationship table.

A person assigned two pieces of software would be two records, with just the
peid and softwareid, plus the DteEst.  When that person "turned in" the
software, the record's DteTerm would be updated.

The only issue with this kind of relationship is that one relationship could
be terminated while another was not.  If that is possible, then each
relationship needs to be established individually (separate records in the
relationship table), so that you can record when each relationship was
established and terminated.

John W. Colby
Colby Consulting