[AccessD] Log class

JWColby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Sun Jan 7 21:49:21 CST 2007

Jim,

>I am not sure how well he has done with this but suspect not as well as he
should have.

LOL, to say the least.

>It seems to take more marketing than designing to sell a product.

Again, so true.

>To make a short story long, I think John's product is excellent and if he
spent most of his time marketing, sales would have reflected that.

LOL, yea but I am not a sales person, and further, if I spent most of my
time marketing, then the product itself would not exist since it is a result
of my time spent in the trenches.

I thought long and hard about this many years ago, before the framework had
evolved into what it is today.  It appeared that I would have to sell for
many hundreds of $ in order to provide support for the product.  My take on
the market was that it was simply too advanced a concept, sold to people who
were too quirky

(yea, YOU GUYS!!!)  ;-)

This is not a spreadsheet or word processor, sold to end users.  It is a
VERY specialized development tool sold to PROGRAMMERS, many of whom (myself
included) are scouring the internet for FREE stuff to make their programming
life easier.  Further it is a product for ACCESS, which we all know is just
a TOY, aimed at POWER USERS and denigrated by all the REAL PROGRAMMERS out
there.  <grin>

In the end I decided to just use it as a tool to make my own life easier, my
own development faster, and give me a competitive edge.  Which it has, and
has, and has.  It just keeps getting better.

I actually offered one time to head a group of AccessD people to develop an
AccessD framework.  For a lot of reasons it didn't fly.  It takes a serious
commitment to volunteer to work on something like this for the good of the
community, but if there is ever enough interest and enough individuals who
would step up and commit to working on it, I will put the offer out there
again.  I can't do it by myself though.

John W. Colby
Colby Consulting