[AccessD] Checkbox dates

A.D.TEJPAL adtp at airtelbroadband.in
Sun Jul 15 00:30:38 CDT 2007

    As correctly presumed by Steve, SourceControl for the bound check box  is meant to be an independent field in the table (Yes/No type).

    In this particular situation, it could be said that having one field for date stamp and another for Yes/No status need not necessarily be regarded as a case of storing redundant data. While Yes/No field acts as the primary one, the date stamp field (hidden from the user) is utilized to store complimentary mirror data in frozen state, with historical significance.

    Independently bound check box as suggested by me is dictated by user's requirement (as mentioned by John), as the primary means of recording completion of a process. If the form happens to be in continuous form or datasheet view, an unbound check box would be untenable, leading to absurd display.

    Taking the concept further, in order to prevent inadvertent interference, it might even be desirable to deny de-selection of check box, after it has been selected (to confirm completion of a process) and the record in question has been saved. (Any further interference with a check box in selected status could then be made conditional to authorization at higher level).

    Sample code in AfterUpdate & Enter events of the checkbox, as given below, should suffice, to cover the requirements outlined above.

A.D.Tejpal
---------------

Code in form's module
(CkStaus and TxtDtStamp are names of
  controls for check box & hidden text box
  respectively)
=============================
Private Sub CkStatus_AfterUpdate()
    ' Insert date stamp if check box is selected
    ' Otherwise clear the date stamp
    If Me.CkStatus = True Then
        Me.TxtDtStamp = Date
    Else
        Me.TxtDtStamp = Null
    End If
End Sub

Private Sub CkStatus_Enter()
    ' Lock the check box if in selected state
    If Me.CkStatus = True Then
        Me.CkStatus.Locked = True
    Else
        Me.CkStatus.Locked = False