[AccessD] Primary Key Best Practices

Bruce Bruen bbruen at unwired.com.au
Thu Jul 26 07:30:03 CDT 2007

On Wednesday 25 July 2007 23:18, jwcolby wrote:
> Bruce,
>
> >Any table that does not have a natural primary key is not a pure dataset,

> No, Any table that does not have a natural primary key CANDIDATE is not a
> pure dataset, ...

&< .....

Let me rephrase myself.

1) I'm not talking about indexes.
2) I'm not talking about Access/SQLServer/... tables

I was trying to indicate a "best practice".

If a tuple in a dataset cannot be uniquely identified by one (or possibly
more) natural keys (made up of one or more "natural data" fields of the
table), then the table is "badly formed" and further thought should be given
to the schema design before any indexes, based on real or surrogate data
should be considered.

I just thought the quick statement could be a BP "rule" that the OP could have
used.  I didn't mean to start DBWarLVI.

--
regards

Bruce