[AccessD] Developing European Applications

Rocky Smolin at Beach Access Software rockysmolin at bchacc.com
Wed Jun 20 08:36:35 CDT 2007

Paul:

After ending up with 5 versions of a DOS-based system to support - one for
each language - I made the Access version multi-language in the rewrite.  I
have two tables - one for controls (basically labels and command button
captions), the other for message boxes.  To add a language, I just add a
column to each table and send the tables to whoever is doing the
translation. The biggest problems I ran into was with the Unicode stuff -
like the simplified and traditional Chinese.

I ended up with a few translation routines in a module - there are some
tricky differences translating controls on reports versus forms and sub
versus main.  I translate everything in the op open event and there's no
apparent lag except sometimes with the Chinese on a slower system.

HTH

Rocky