[AccessD] Back again....

Bruce Bruen bbruen at unwired.com.au
Sat Mar 3 05:59:56 CST 2007

On Saturday 03 March 2007 19:41, Gustav Brock wrote:
> Hi Bruce
>
> Welcome back!
>
> How is your experience with Postgres?

Well, it was about a 2year long&hard journey, but the outcome was  r e a l  l
y nice.  postgres IMO (p.s. no captial p) is about 14-24 months ahead of any
other dbms.  Let me give just one example,  we had a problem with tx rollback
logging overflows, the rollback worked fine but the log thrashed around and
ended up filiing the log partition allowance on the SAN.  The problem came
down to a checkpointing issue with remoted dup's - anyway the postgres
community came up with a workaround in 4 hours and a fix in 24 hours.  The
nearest commercial dbms (Informix) released an update 7 months later  for
exactly the same situation. ( I have a mate who is working with a similar
sized db housed in Informix, when he mentioned a problem that sounded the
same I thought "hang on, haven't we seen that before?",  sure enough it was
the  same beastie.)   But the real joy is that the entire schema is, AFAICT,
really and troolly 3NF.  There are 46 raw data tables and over 130 decodes
(lookups),  over 1200 views and the max query cost is 1.36, and that's for
a "cross-tab".

Well, that was a bit of mouthful. :-<;

> I haven't worked that much with the topics you mention (I stay off
> maximized forms), except that bookmarks need to be set after a change of
> the recordset. Use the ID to quickly locate the record again.

(Ignoring the "maximise/conditional formatting" issue for the minute)

OK, what I'm trying to do (forgetting the above postgres rave) is a pretty
simple bound form app that presents a list of current or active items and
lets 'em click on the item to open an action form.  The bound form load
filtering (continuous records) logic seems to work fine, they see the items
pertinent to them  and it is presented in a reasonable priority order.  What
I want to do is allow some sort of "free" relation sorting and actioning.

I ran up a test db with one continuous form based on 3 fields: recID,
displayDesc and filterDesc, where the opening filter is "> a certain recID"
(which simulates the active items).

It seems to me that A23k doesn't retain any sort of positioning in the basic
form recordset if you (the user) apply a filter or do a recordset refresh.  I
have not yet investigated this further in terms of trying  to overtly control
the bookmark or trying to save the current row key.  I was hoping someone can
let me know there is an "eassssy" way to do this (OK-OK I've forgotten how to
write VBA :-)  )

> /gustav

Anyway, apart from that, how's things in the frozen north ...  or were you in
Arizona, or Texas, or Antwerp (???)
--
regards

Bruce