[AccessD] Zipcodes within a radius

John Bartow john at winhaven.net
Fri Mar 23 12:28:23 CDT 2007

<war story>

I'm working with one on a client site (a publishing who also does bulk
mailings). They just sent a notice that the next upgrade will require that
the user have a DVD reader (as it would take too many CDs to distribute this
much information), Pentium 4 and minimum 512MB available RAM (highly
recommended 3 GB for good performance).

Apparently, according to this company, the USPS has changed it requirements
for how programs designate their mailing codes and is now forcing them to
use the USPS database directly. (I could get the details and post them if
anyone is interested). Upon further investigation the USPS database is
approx. 3 GB.

So my conclusion is that the only way this company's application runs well
with this new requirement is to load the entire USPS database into RAM.

This requires a new XP workstation that will be the biggest, fastest
computer this clients owns - all for doing bulk mailings via proprietary
software and equipment. Previous to this upgrade they had been using the
lowest end XP workstation.