[AccessD] Off-Site Backup

John Bartow john at winhaven.net
Thu Nov 15 10:07:47 CST 2007

Hi Rocky,
These are enticing ideas aren't they? Seems everyone and their uncle is
offering it today.

After thorough evaluation, given the size of Access DB and Apps
(prerequisite Access related content ;-) , I decided against this option.
(Besides that fact that I also do a load of DP/graphics work so mdbs are
actually quite small in size comparison.)

I found that an external hard drive unit that can be kept off site is a more
cost effective and much faster alternative. Given the difficulties that most
of clients have using (especially restoring from) tape backup media for
security backups procedures I have started to implement multiple removable
hard drives instead. A simple USB or Fire wire cable connection is all it
takes.

For smaller size backups (35-90 GB) an Iomega Rev Drive is another option
and can directly replace a daily/weekly/monthly tape backup rotation scheme
as the removable Rev disks (which are a proprietary hard drive enclosure)
are about the size of a tape cartridge. They had been selling a reasonably
priced "starter kit" which included a drive unit, a number of disks and a
backup software solution (although you can use any form of backup including
a simple folder copy.

Another option for you, given that you have space on your web server is to
use an FTP client that you can schedule to do this automatically at night.
There are a number of good FTP clients available that can do this. Some
free.

HTH
John B