[AccessD] Troubleshooting Opinions

William Hindman wdhindman at dejpolsystems.com
Wed Nov 28 00:46:09 CST 2007

Simplest first. Have you actually defined the problem yourself rather than
relying on user reports? Your post makes it appear that you might not have
actually done so as yet ...imnsho, users are almost always wrong in defining
problems in a manner that enables you to address them effectively ...thy
just don't see it with your eyes.

Do you/they have archive/master copies that don't exhibit the behavior? Hope
they are doing daily backups.

Have you done a full decompile of both mdbs? With A97, you have to follow
the steps very carefully or the decompile does not work as intended.

If none of the above clears the problem, try a system restore to a date
prior to the problem first appearing to see if any system software changes
have caused it. Look especially for any changes in AV software configuration
or for changes in macro security settings. A97 was very susseptible to
tamper protection schemes and heuristic type background scanning.

...just hit me but you didn't say what their OS is ...if its anything less
than XP Pro, you ought to just Colbyize them and be done with it ...and if
they installed Vista on even one system, start there.

Isolate any hardware/firmware changes in the environment ...or possibly a
faulty nic on the workgroup share ...A97 was very intolerant of nic faults
ime and they were the primary cause of intermittant problems.

...and for heaven's sake, upgrade them to AXP already ...if they are too
cheap to buy Office upgrades, at least put them on a runtime of Access 2002
...with the current prices on e-bay for such, its ridiculous for them not to
do so.

hth

William