[AccessD] consulting fees

Dan Waters dwaters at usinternet.com
Wed Oct 3 15:27:09 CDT 2007

Arthur,

When I started in 2003, I also charged $50/hr.  Next year $75, and so on.

At that time I was talking to people who would give me some of their time as
one-time 'mentors'.  Universally, they pinged on me about my low rates.  The
first person I talked with said I should charge $125/hr to start and move up
to $175/hr in a couple of years.  They were basing their statements on the
Business Process Management System I've developed, saying that this is a big
money maker for companies.   A few years later, I now know that they were
correct.

We all partly base our judgment of value on something's price.  Sometimes
there's simply no way to do otherwise (like with programmers).  So, if you
are the lowest rate, then customers may think of you as the lowest value or
quality.  Some business customers are proud of spending a lot of money -
they can then brag that it cost THIS MUCH - and their buddies wish they
could do the same.  Would you like a Cadillac?  Why?  Because everyone
around you thinks you can afford it!

Raise your rates until you get some pushback - then you know you're charging
about the right amount.

Here's to the new mansion you'll be buying in a few years!
Dan