[AccessD] Related combos in a datasheet

Gmail max.wanadoo at gmail.com
Wed Sep 5 12:10:14 CDT 2007

Hi Arthur,

I have uploaded a demo of Combo Boxes populated within a Data Sheet to:

http://www.peoplelinks.co.uk/msaccess/downloads/DataSheetComboBoxes.zip

There are two Forms, each has 4 Records/Rows in the Form.

Form 1 and Form 2 do NOT operate the same

Each Record/Row has 6 Combo Boxes.  The first three are BOUND to the Record
(I will call them  Group 1).
The second group of three are UNBOUND (I will call them Group 2) so that you
can see the difference between the two groups.

I make use  of the Persistent Static Function that was posted on this site
(of which you were one of the contributors - so what goes around,  comes
around).

These are the Gotchas:

Form 1:
Within each Group, selecting an item in Combo1, will populate Combo2 and
selecting an item in Combo2 will populate Combo3.

Group 1.  Because they are Bound,  they will correctly hold the values
selected BUT when you move to a new Record/Row the combo boxes of the
previous record may no long be visible/viewable on screen until you move
back to that record.  This is  because the combo boxes will now hold/display
the values of the current record.  This may be  disconcerting to some users.

Group 2. Because they are UNBound, they will show the same info on each
record/row regardless of what was  selected.

I hope this helps a bit, but I don't think it is  a perfect solution and
because of the nature of multi-records being  display, it cannot (I believe)
be overcome directly.  It may however be possible to have the Bound Combo
Boxes hidden behind a Label/Text box which shows the values within the
Record.  On clicking the Label/Text you can swap over the visibilie.  I have
shown an example of this in Form 2.

Form 2:
This does not show any combo boxes (but they are there).  Instead it shows
the current values of the selection.  when a user clicks on the value, a
popup shows and displays the combo boxes for selection.  On exit from the
popup, the values are written back to the main form2 and then displayed.

I really dont know if this is what you want, but it was a difficult exercise
for me!  I hope it helps somewhate.

Regards
Max