[AccessD] Transactions

Drew Wutka DWUTKA at Marlow.com
Thu Sep 6 21:22:53 CDT 2007

The biggest hole in the 'GUI' data integrity process is the .mdb itself.
You can link tables or import them into another .mdb with a few clicks
of the mouse.

So, if you have a table that you really don't want people editing data
in, no amount of GUI tricks are going to prevent that if you don't put
security on a table.  If someone wants to get at the data, they can just
link the tables in a blank database, and have at the data.

So, in the case of your customers, who want to have access to write
their own queries and reports, you are simply getting by with having
uninformed or inexperienced customers.  A user of Access, who knows the
just a fraction of how Access works can link to the tables in your
database.  No protection on the tables, no protection on the linked
tables.

Drew

-----Original Message-----
From: accessd-bounces at databaseadvisors.com
[mailto:accessd-bounces at databaseadvisors.com] On Behalf Of Steve Schapel
Sent: Thursday, September 06, 2007 6:52 PM
To: Access Developers discussion and problem solving
Subject: Re: [AccessD] Transactions

Thank you, Charlotte.  I hope I didn't give the impression that I
thought there were not "ways around it".  I am saying that in practice,
I do not find I need to try and prevent people finding ways around it.
In practice, I have found that removing the possibility of accessing the

Database Window from within the application UI has been sufficient.  Not

foolproof, but sufficient.

I have a couple of times had clients who wanted me to provide them with
the MDB rather than the MDE, and access to the Database Window, so they
could make their own reports and whatnot.  I have told them sure, no
problem, but that spells the end of my relationship with them, as I do
not support applications under those circumstances.

Anyway, I digress.  I would be interested to have a look at your
article, if possible?

Regards
Steve