[AccessD] Transactions

Steve Schapel miscellany at mvps.org
Thu Sep 6 22:16:16 CDT 2007

Hi Drew,

Drew Wutka wrote:
> The biggest hole in the 'GUI' data integrity process is the .mdb itself.

Yes, I know.  Well, I don't call it a "hole".  But yes, I know.

> You can link tables or import them into another .mdb with a few clicks
> of the mouse.

Yes, I know.

> So, if you have a table that you really don't want people editing data
> in, no amount of GUI tricks are going to prevent that if you don't put
> security on a table.  If someone wants to get at the data, they can just
> link the tables in a blank database, and have at the data.

Yes, I know they can.  But they don't... that's the point.

> So, in the case of your customers, who want to have access to write
> their own queries and reports, you are simply getting by with having
> uninformed or inexperienced customers.

No.  Some would be uninformed or inexperienced.  But that's not as
relevant as professional and responsible.

> A user of Access, who knows the
> just a fraction of how Access works can link to the tables in your
> database.

I don't think that's true.  There are a lot of people who know a fair
bit about Access, who wouldn't think of that possibility.  Of course,
many of my customers have no idea that we are using Access anyway.  But
again, that's not the main point.  You are making the assumption that
just because people *can* stuff around with stuff they've got no
business with, that they *will*.  That's very sad.  I have good
relationships with my clients.  Those that have the skills and knowledge
to link to the backend from another Access file would discuss it with me
before they went near it.

But again, Drew, I am happy for you to take additional precautions if
you feel the need to.  This is not a "right or wrong" consideration here.

Regards
Steve