[AccessD] Transactions

Drew Wutka DWUTKA at Marlow.com
Fri Sep 7 00:30:20 CDT 2007

True, it's not right or wrong.  I am not trying to 'blast' your methods.

I had a talk with my bosses boss one day, years ago (ironically, he
turned in his notice, after working with Marlow for over 20 years, and
tomorrow  is his last day). He was asking about certain security aspects
of our network.  When I started there, our network was in shambles, and
Mark (our old network administrator) and I spent years tightening things
up to a respectable level.  But one of the things I told Robbie was that
one of our main security measurements was the ignorance of our users.
At the time, what protected much of our stuff was that most people just
didn't know where things were, or how to get into them, and that's not
talking about passwords, just simply not knowing how to run something.

However, our debate here takes a different turn when you change the type
of application.  If you are building a database for a customer to track
some of there information, 'trusting' them with the data isn't an issue,
if the data is for their own use.  Who cares if they go in and change an
a to a b.  It's their data.  Data Integrity is only used to make sure
the processes work.  But what if the data IS the process.

Case in point, I built a system we call the ISFE.  Information Systems
Front End.  It's our request tracking system (asset management, etc.).
We are a public company, we use the ISFE to PROVE that the work we do
was authorized.  It has an electronic signature capability.  We get
audited based on the information in that system AND based on the
integrity of that system.  If I was an auditor, and I was able to just
get directly into the tables, with no security stopping me, I would fail
the company using that application.

Drew