[AccessD] Database Patent...sort of....kinda

Dan Waters dwaters at usinternet.com
Mon Sep 17 08:56:59 CDT 2007

This is a good question!

Unless you had a prior written agreement with either company that stated
that a condition of your employment was that you would assign all rights to
anything you created that was patentable or copyrightable, then those
databases are yours.  The reason for this is that the US Constitution
specifically states that 'discoveries' belong to inventors and authors, and
so no federal or state law can state differently and force you to give up
your rights in this legal area.

I've been a design engineer, and at most places I worked, before I accepted
the job, I had to sign an agreement to assign all inventions (related to my
job) to the company.  I decided up front to do this, no law required me to.
At one company I did apply for and receive a patent that was unrelated to my
job, and my company had a review process where they released me from my
obligation to assign rights to them for that patent.

I am completely confident (although not an attorney) that the database you
currently have is yours.

Hope this helps,
Dan