[AccessD] Mucking around

John Bartow john at winhaven.net
Fri Sep 28 12:11:28 CDT 2007

Max,
I think of it this way (this is not a technical explanation):
-Normalized data (in a normalized data structure) is the basis for how one
enters, stores and maintains data.
-Queries, reports, labels, graphs, web data, data streams, transactional
systems, data warehouse/marts, etc. are all products of efficiently entered
and stored data. They are _derived_ from the normalized data.

In theory, the more efficiently stored (normalized) the more precise. Some
of the arguments you will see here are based on efficiency of
accessing/maintaining/editing the data more so than efficient storage of the
data. There will be compromises made due to the complexity of dealing with
normalized data to scenarios that do not allow for full normalization of
data and/or those who do not fully understand the ideology (yes, I
purposefully stated it that way) of normalization (this means almost all
programmers who are not first DBAs ;o)

This doesn't infer that anyone is doing anything wrong, just that some
things aren't done according to the rules of normalization.

As for the technical explanations I will not venture into that realm as we
have people much more adept here than I.

HTH
John B.