[AccessD] FW: Access 2007 (and other rants)

jwcolby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Fri Apr 25 08:31:25 CDT 2008

Because "real men don't use VB.net".

Or because company executives are ignorant and believe that "real men
don't code in vb.net" and so won't hire you unless you code in c#.

Microsoft themselves will tell you that both languages are a thin veneer
over the .net framework, both languages call into the .net CLR to do
everything and the actual differences between the two languages are
extremely minimal.  That said, c# can do a few things that vb.net
cannot.  OTOH vb.net can do a few things that c# cannot.

In the end, the "VB is a toy" is so deeply ingrained in the corporate
culture that it really isn't worth fighting.

If you make the switch though you will (potentially) earn twice the
hourly rate since c# is a REAL man's language and everybody knows you
have to pay real men more.

;-)