[AccessD] Scanning from Access to a file

Gustav Brock Gustav at cactus.dk
Fri Dec 12 04:34:04 CST 2008

Hi John

> .. that's even more expensive than the other one!

That depends. Distribution with your app(s) is royalty free.

Also, it includes support. And believe me, if you haven't worked with scanners before, you will need support - indeed when clients call in about x and y scanner behaving strangely. Both scanners and their drivers are buggy, and support from the suppliers of these is often nil or aimed at end users.
Further, have in mind that csXImage includes a powerful image handling/converting engine which you probably will need as well.

That said, the WIA library looks interesting, though it caught my eye that it is dated 2002. Also, not all scanners come with WIA drivers but Twain drivers only.

/gustav

>>> askolits at nni.com 12-12-2008 00:36 >>>
Well, that's even more expensive than the other one!

I did find that you can download the MS Image Acquisition Automation Library v2.0 at

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=a332a77a-01b8-4de6-91c2-b7ea32537e29&DisplayLang=en

After registering the control and adding it to the library references, the code is as simple as:

Dim commondialog1 As Object
Dim img As ImageFile
Set commondialog1 = CreateObject("wia.commondialog")
Set img = commondialog1.ShowAcquireImage
img.SaveFile ("c:\test.jpg")

Very simple and AFAIK, free.

I found this info info at:
http://www.utteraccess.com/forums/printthread.php?Cat=&Board=89&main=1181426&type=thread