[AccessD] Vista SP1

Jurgen Welz jwelz at hotmail.com
Tue Feb 19 18:12:55 CST 2008

I followed the TechNet forum link and the discussion there sure matches my problem.  Ordiarily I leave this laptop at home for my wife's use and for that reason, had auto updates turned on.  I'm on the road 3 weeks out of 4 these days and this machine is what she used for web cam/chat and photos so I've left the machine pretty much alone.

The Acer has a 64 bit Turion running a 32 bit Vista, at least it has a System32 folder, so that is my assumption.  One of the people at TechNet mentioned restoring to an earlier restore point, but my system reports no available restore points.  I did get to an option that would permit restore, but the system could not find a restore point.  Of course there were many restore points created, but none are accessible or available after the botch up.  Even safe mode takes me to the boot error.  I was able to get to regedit from DOS prompt but couldn't find a way to kill the update.  I also booted from DVD and chose system repair and that too failed, in fact, I can no longer get to DOS prompt after that effort.  There is a reinstall partition on the drive, and provided it is not also messed up, I will run that when I put the drive back in that laptop next weekend.

I'm not looking for help with this since I am comfortable doing whatever it takes to get this system running short of giving Microsoft a penny.  It looks like this is purely an auto update Microsoft created problem.  It's just pathetic that there are probably a lot of people out there with computers like the Acer that didn't come with separate install CDs or DVDs who are paying big dollars to get their systems fixed.  There are also likely a lot of unsophisticated users who will lose everything they have on their computers as a result of this update.

CiaoJürgen WelzEdmonton, Albertajwelz at hotmail.com> From: bheid at sc.rr.com> To: accessd at databaseadvisors.com> Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2008 17:40:25 -0500> Subject: Re: [AccessD] Vista SP1> > I only glanced at the first page, but it looks like they are talking about> Vista SP1 RC1 (release candidate). And that surely would not be on Windows> Update!> > On another note, I have installed all of the updates recently from Windows> Update (after reviewing them, I don't let update install automatically) and> have not had any problems. I do not know what may have happened to Jurgen's> PC.> > Bobby> > -----Original Message-----> From: accessd-bounces at databaseadvisors.com> [mailto:accessd-bounces at databaseadvisors.com] On Behalf Of Ralph Bryce> Sent: Tuesday, February 19, 2008 4:53 PM> To: Access Developers discussion and problem solving> Subject: Re: [AccessD] Vista SP1> > Jurgen,> > This Technet forum discusses:> > http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/showpost.aspx?postid=2848906&siteid=17> > Many people affected...looks like a system restore...> > Ralph Bryce> > > > -- > AccessD mailing list> AccessD at databaseadvisors.com> http://databaseadvisors.com/mailman/listinfo/accessd> Website: http://www.databaseadvisors.com