[AccessD] Access 2007

Steve Schapel miscellany at mvps.org
Thu Jan 10 15:21:45 CST 2008

John,

It seems to me that you are directing your "disquiet" at the wrong thing.

In earlier versions of Access, if you wanted the Menubar to "go away",
the procedure is to create a custom menubar with no commands, and set
that as the application Menu Bar under the Tools|Startup menu.

Parallel to this, in Access 2007, if you want the the Ribbon to "go
away", the procedure is to create a custom ribbon with no tabs, and set
that as the application Ribbon under the Office|Access Options|Current
Database menu.

Is it as easy to create a custom Ribbon in Access 2007 as it is to
create a custom Menubar in Access 2003?  No.  For one thing, you have to
learn some new stuff.  Do I like it?  No.  But it is simply not true to
say that you don't have the option.

Here is some relevant information:
http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb258192.aspx
http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb187398.aspx

In any case, a database that is created in an earlier version of Access,
with startup options set to not show toolbars etc, will simply open in
Access 2007 with no ribbon anyway.

If you have custom menubars in applications that you developed in
earlier version of Access, and then convert the database to Access 2007
format, your custom menubar will be converted to a group on a ribbon
tab.  Access provides some options for presenting this in a style more
similar to the "old" menubar.  Here is some information about this:
http://accessjunkie.com/faq_31.aspx
Once again, you would need to build this into a custom ribbon in order
to get close to what you have now.

Regards
Steve