[AccessD] Downgrading Vista

Drew Wutka DWUTKA at Marlow.com
Mon Jul 14 17:15:13 CDT 2008

Yep, that's it!

My new laptop (about 3 months old now, and it has 2 hard drives) has
AHCI.  Installing Vista....wham bam, done.  Put in a Windows XP CD, it
starts loading it's drivers, and gets to searching for previous
installations, and then doesn't show any hard drives available.  Now, I
could have hunted down drivers for it, but I didn't, just turned it off
in the bios, and XP installed like a champ.  Personally, I see no real
advantage to Using Vista.  When I got my new laptop, I was this '' close
to just keeping vista on there (after a fresh install, I ALWAYS
reinstall the OS on a new machine, dropping all that garbage the
different vendors throw on there!), until I discovered that I couldn't
install Office 97 (more importantly Access 97).  I like using Virtual
PC, but I use Access 97 often enough that I didn't want to HAVE to use
it through VPC.

Drew

-----Original Message-----
From: accessd-bounces at databaseadvisors.com
[mailto:accessd-bounces at databaseadvisors.com] On Behalf Of Michael Bahr
Sent: Monday, July 14, 2008 5:06 PM
To: Access Developers discussion and problem solving
Subject: Re: [AccessD] Downgrading Vista

Drew, you are talking about AHCI (Advanced Host Controller Interface)
which
allows advanced features of SATA such as hot plug and Native Command
Queuing (NCQ).  You still use the basic features of SATA just not all of
it.  This feature is kinda of not supported on XP but definitely
supported
in VISTA.  I mean kinda because it is possible to enable AHCI on XP, I
did
it, and have no problems.  I can even turn on/off my external HD through
eSATA.

Mike...

On 7/14/2008 at 4:31 PM Drew Wutka wrote:

>Too lazy to reboot my laptop and go into the BIOS...it's a feature of
>the SATA drives, and I had to turn them off for my Windows XP CD to
>recognize the hard drives on my laptop.
>
>Drew

The information contained in this transmission is intended only for the person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain II-VI Proprietary and/or II-VI Business Sensitive material. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender immediately and destroy the material in its entirety, whether electronic or hard copy. You are notified that any review, retransmission, copying, disclosure, dissemination, or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited.