[AccessD] OT Kinda: New Computer

Drew Wutka DWUTKA at Marlow.com
Thu Jul 17 12:13:25 CDT 2008

Using Access in Virtual PC is going to depend on a few things.  One, the
memory and Processor speed you setup for the virtual machine to use.
Two, the drive speed you have (because a virtual machine is
'virtualizing' a file into a hard drive, so it's going to be a little
slower then your hard drive already is.

On a Mac, the software is called Parallels, and yes, it runs windows
just fine.  Though, as it's already been mentioned in this thread, if
your only reason for looking at Macs is due to pictures, I wouldn't
bother.  Video is an entirely different matter.  PCs still don't hold a
candle to Macs Video capabilities.

Drew

-----Original Message-----
From: accessd-bounces at databaseadvisors.com
[mailto:accessd-bounces at databaseadvisors.com] On Behalf Of Mark A Matte
Sent: Thursday, July 17, 2008 11:54 AM
To: Access Developers discussion and problem solving
Subject: Re: [AccessD] OT Kinda: New Computer

Gary,

Thanks for the info.

My entire decision is based on how MS Access will perform in these types
of configurations (VM or Dual Boot, etc).

Most of the people making these suggestions are 'Mac' people...and they
do nothing but praise the 'Mac'.  They claim I can use MS Access without
ANY issues through an emulator.  Is this true?

I don't want to start the Mac vs PC debate...just asking about
experience using MS Access on a Mac:

Maybe...Virtual Machine, Dual Boot Mac/Windows, windows emulator, or
some other technique?

Thanks Again,

Mark A. Matte

> Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2008 11:07:57 -0500
> From: garykjos at gmail.com
> To: accessd at databaseadvisors.com
> Subject: Re: [AccessD] OT Kinda: New Computer
>
> Hi Mark,
>
> For future reference, this kind of question should really go to the
> Tech List. It's not OT there ;-) If you're not a member of that list
> it's easy to join.

> I have several "Mac's are the way to go" friends. I mostly just smile
> and nod my head when they go into their Windows S*cks rants. I am just
> not ready to relearn everything. My experience with ITUNES on Windows
> tells me that I miss the consistent menu or interface structure that
> regular windows applications adhere to for the most part. Other than
> Itunes of course. Having to figure out that the BURN A CD icon is down
> in the LOWER RIGHT CORNER instead of up on the drop down menu where
> 80% of the other functionality is kind of ticks me off every time I
> use it. I use multiple systems both at home and at work and even
> though they have various versions ov Windows and Office, the
> interfaces are very similar so I can switch from on to another without
> really having to rethink or relearn anything when I switch from one to
> another. I'm not anti-Mac by any means and wouldn't mind bringing one
> into my flock of systems at some point, but I wouldn't be doing it
> with a system I am intending to use as my primary system.
>
> Gary Kjos
> MODERATOR AccessD
>

> On 7/17/08, Mark A Matte  wrote:
>>
>> Hello All,
>>
>> I'm getting ready to shop for a new computer. I'm thinking laptop.
I've never owned a Mac...but a number of people are trying to talk me
into it. I still wan't to do some Access work. I hear people talking
about VM...and I've seen some dual boot machines. I'm kinda nervous
about trying to run MS Access on a Mac...I just don't know enough?

>> Any thoughts/advice/experience?
>>
>> Also, I think the ONLY reasons my friends are suggesting the Mac is
for my photography hobby(even though I rarely edit the
photos)...anyway...