[AccessD] Another article some of you might like

Tony Septav iggy at nanaimo.ark.com
Sun Jul 27 07:24:33 CDT 2008

Hey Susan
Nice work.
As we all know the IT people are a different breed.  Ran into a
situation about a year ago, A fellow at a company and myself developed
an application to meet the current needs of vast majority of the
employees for data recording and reporting (before no standardization,
some did them in Word, Excel, NotePad, paper, etc.).  It was well
received but it p....d of the IT people and they said there were
developing something very similiar and in house and they wouldn't be
using ACCESS to do it (still haven't seen the application but it is
promised).

In developing the program we followed the Access developer's rules for
providing the user with an clean, easy to use and intuitive program,
basically as they say a "no brainer".

Anyway about a month ago we were able to talk to one of their
developers, we were amazed they had never contacted us before to discuss
what people liked about our program ("rather than them re-inventing the
wheel").  We would have gladly shared.

One of the questions we asked and the response we got made my jaw drop.
There is a field linked to a table of about 350 codes, in our program
(as any Access developer knows how to do), we filter the combo box based
on the user's selection of the previous field, thus avoiding any data
entry errors. The user can only select a code associated with the
previous field.
We asked them if they were doing the same thing, they said no they would
be displaying all 350 codes in a pulldown, it would be the user's
responsibility to select appropriate code (I hope this is not true).

I am anxiously waiting to see their program, if it is good, praise will
be given and worth the wait, if not I will just keep my mouth shut.

Anyway my little story, not trying to start a "trip down memory lane"