[AccessD] VBA Unbound data entry / update form

jwcolby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Wed May 28 00:39:00 CDT 2008

 >  Well I have lived with Mexicans all my life.

As did I.  I grew up in Yuma Az on the border of Arizona,
California and Mexico, actually out in a farming community
of California.  I worked alongside the Mexican laborers as I
was growing up and grew to respect and admire their hard
work and the fact that they would live in such poverty in
the US in order to send their money home to families in Mexico.

 >  Before long I'll be moving south.

I lived in Puebla Mexico from 1995 to 2000, and thoroughly
enjoyed it.

On the high plains 1/2 way between Mexico DF (Mexico City)
and the port city of Veracruz, Puebla is one of the original
Spanish settlements.  It was built to support the conquest
of the huge Aztec city Tinochtitlan, under what is now
Mexico City, by the Spaniards landing in Veracruz in the
early 1500s.

Puebla is now a modern city of several million people, with
all of the affluence and poverty to be found in most large
cities of Mexico. There is still much of the Spanish
influence in Puebla's architecture and culture.

I got a consulting job there in 1995 and worked in Puebla
for about 3 years before the company I was working for went
out of business.  I continued to live there for a couple of
more years, struggling to survive on a slowly expanding
consulting business.

My wife and I lived in the shadow of the hill (fort) in
Puebla where the Mexicans defeated the French (well, kinda)
in the Battle of Puebla, Cinco de Mayo.  36 Norte y Blvd
Xoanaca, about a mile or so from the Zocolo, you could
literally walk up the hill to the fort.  We also lived
literally across the road from a 1/2 mile square mercado
where we could buy all the produce, fruits, pollo y puerco,
tortillas and other staples of life.  Slabs of Chicharones
and kilos of Avocados.  Oh yea!

Puebla, at an altitude of about 5500 feet, is centrally
located to a lovely part of Mexico and my wife and I
thoroughly enjoyed driving our Mexican built old style VW
Beetle (but built in 1994 in the VW plant in Puebla) around
the states of Puebla, Veracruz, Oaxaca, and even down into
Chiapas.

For one Christmas vacation we drove through Mexico DF,
through Guadalajara and over to the coast of the gulf of
Baja, then north following the coast up to Nogales, up to
Phoenix to visit my sisters, over to Yuma to visit other
family, then followed the exact same route in reverse back
down to Puebla.

Another time we drove from Puebla up to Poza Rica on the
Vera Cruz coast, north to Tampico and from there up to
Matamoros / Brownsville, Tx, on up to Syracuse NY, and then
back the same route to Puebla.  THAT route you would not
consider driving today due to the drug wars, but back when
we lived there we drove pretty much anywhere without fear.

Because it was so close to Puebla, we spent many weekends
over in Jalapa Veracruz, or even in Quetzalan (IIRC) a tiny
little Indian village at "the end of the road" in the far
north of the state of Puebla.

But of all the places we visited regularly, Oaxaca was our
very favorite.  The Centro is an eclectic mixture of French
and Spanish, with wonderful museums and magnificent
churches.  Eat great food on the Zocolo or wander out past
the airport to San Bartolo Coyotepec to could buy the famous
"black pottery" or up to the north end of the valley to buy
magnificent rugs and tapestries.

I would love to live in Puebla still but had to move back to
the US in 2000 due to insufficient Internet to support
remote access to the clients I was cultivating up in the US.
  Sad but true.

Mexico is a wonderful place, the people still have strong
family and religious ties, and I would live there again
given the chance.