[AccessD] OT: Survey

Gustav Brock Gustav at cactus.dk
Mon Nov 17 10:09:01 CST 2008

Hi Susan

I have Office 2007 installed both at work and at home. Problem is, I believe, that working with databases - indeed development - is so much different from working with document style apps like Word, Excel and PowerPoint, and that the MS Office team just hasn't (or will not) realize this.

My "proof" for this is, that recently I had to work with PP for the first time so I went to PP2007 to check it out, and - much to my surprise - I found that the ribbon works very well for that type of work ... choosing fonts, colours, layout style etc. was a snap.

On the other hand, even when I as the rest of you know Access very well, I constantly find myself fooling around the ribbon to get things done. Left, right, here and there, and the SQL view of a query is several clicks away instead of one. You are mostly working with objects and the ribbon is a bad solution for this.
Further, the new default table layout (don't even know the name for it, "semi-design", "quasi-design" or "design/display", who knows?) drives me crazy as I every time I watch it wonder why I can't figure it out. I mean, who wants as the default action to "Add a new field" to an existing table. This shows that the UI design teams just doesn't know how tables are handled in real life. A table is _not_ a spreadsheet.

The tiny Quick Launch toolbar is a joke, violating the basic idea of the ribbon. It is there for one reason only: As an excuse to those users who wish to abandon the ribbon. Now these can build there own custom menu to get things done. "But don't make it too big, guys; it must not catch attention!"

/gustav

>>> shamil at smsconsulting.spb.ru 17-11-2008 16:25 >>>
Trying to use MS Access 2007 these days - just as a development support tool
- so far so good and I'm getting accustomed to the ribbon but I must say
that the new design of database window and tabbed interface drive me crazy:
yes, I know I can switch it off to overlapped windows but I'm trying to
realize could that be of good use for developers or not - I should be
missing something...

--
Shamil