[AccessD] Access FE to SQL Server Compact BE

David McAfee davidmcafee at gmail.com
Mon Oct 20 16:32:02 CDT 2008

I had to write a program in .Net for our sale force to use in the field. It
sends us all of their invoices and then downloads all of their price lists
and customers.

I was trying to connect to an SDF while still on a Pocket PC (PPC), then
found out you couldnt do that.

I had to copy the SDF over to a directory on the users PC.

   I create the directory, if it doesnt exist on the users PC.
   Delete the SDF on the users PC, if it exists.
   Connect to the PPC
   Verify file exists on PPC
    Using rapi, I copy SDF from PPC to PC

I open the SDF and verify some records against the logged in user, then send
datasets up to a webservice.

I download the updated  customer list and price lists then send the SDF
process back to the PPC:

connect to PPC
verify file exists on PPC
rename file on PPC (to rollback in the event something goes wrong)
copy over SDF.

This whole process happens very quickly. It was a major pain to set up but
works flawless now :)

If you are doing something similar and need help, let me know.

David