[AccessD] SPAM-LOW: Access-D Desktop

Max Wanadoo max.wanadoo at gmail.com
Mon Aug 3 12:15:38 CDT 2009

Just checking it through now William

Max

-----Original Message-----
From: accessd-bounces at databaseadvisors.com
[mailto:accessd-bounces at databaseadvisors.com] On Behalf Of William Hindman
Sent: 03 August 2009 15:51
To: Access Developers discussion and problem solving
Subject: Re: [AccessD] SPAM-LOW: Access-D Desktop

Max

..."ages to load"??? ...my bginfo loads almost instantaneously
...it shows time in 4 cities, a single click updates them all, I could as
easily have 20.
...its part of my desktop with zero cpu/ram consumption except when I
refresh
...it shows practically any info I want including last virus update, system
temps, hd size/free space, user name/security level, service tag, net
runtime versions, os/service pack, ip, all my network info, etc, etc.
...anything available from a script, wmi, environment variable, registry
value, bios, or a text file can be displayed ...and the bginfo forums and
net are filled with ways to get practically any info I can think of that is
available from my system.
...I can even script color coding into it.
...it displays absolutely nothing I don't tell it to
...it will work on almost any OS environment including VPCs and from a
stick.
...I always display it as part of my desktop background but it works just as

well from the tray ...the info display is very flexible and allows graphics
as well as text

...not knocking your hta, Max ...just pointing out that a very good, free,
and well supported alternative is readily available ...the base bginfo
script is very blasé but with a little work, it can be very professional
...I use it on every client workstation, laptop, and server ...one of its
best features is that it integrates easily with client wallpapers so they
get to keep their desktops while I get the info I need on it as well ...no
more trying to walk a client through finding basic info over the phone
...its there in front of them all the time ...and I've even started writing
diagnostic versions linked by a desktop shortcut that displays info I don't
normally put on the desktop such as installed updates and driver info
...makes life a lot easier and I no longer have to go digging for info
...its right there in front of me when I walk up to the system or for a
client on the phone ...if you haven't figured it out by now, I love it

William