[AccessD] Moderator Message

jwcolby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Wed Aug 5 11:29:38 CDT 2009

Dan,

Wondrous works for me too, as does nefarious.

Anyone can do filters, that is not an issue I am sure.  My concern is simply that a list needs
traffic or it will not attract members.  Of course AccessD is an Access oriented list but in the end
if the total traffic drops below a certain point, the list slowly dies.  It is my opinion that is
the case with AccessD now, and I am simply trying to spark a discussion on that subject.

It can be argued either way.

Too much off topic traffic and no one wants to be on the list.  Not enough traffic of any kind and
no one wants to be on the list.  Very likely we will retain the hard core membership, those who have
been here forever, but a new member is going to see nothing happening and just go away.  On a day to
day basis, I see nothing happening here.

Does AccessD even have a reason to exist anymore?  Access is still a huge installed base out there,
where are all of the questions, all the newbies trying to make it work?

I think to some extent that having VB traffic, and SQL Server traffic, and Access traffic, and OT
but technical traffic all flowing on this one list makes the list an interesting place to be even if
there is nothing Access flowing today.  Having SQL Server traffic here makes people think about how
SQL Server might work as a BE for Access.  Having .Net traffic here makes people think about how
easy or hard it is to do things in one vs the other.

I was there voting for the other lists when this list was booming and I was wading through 200
messages a day.  That is no longer the case and (in market speak) I fear that we have diluted the
brand to the point where the brand is meaningless.

I belong to several of the other lists (though not OT) and see little if any traffic on any of them.
  As a newcomer, why would I subscribe to 5 different lists with no traffic on any of them?  OTOH I
might subscribe to one list with a fair amount of technical traffic of various sorts, but a strong
Access guru base.

Again, I am simply trying to spark a discussion on this subject.