[AccessD] SPAM-LOW: Re: Access poll

jwcolby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Sun Aug 9 07:17:39 CDT 2009

Shamil,

Yes, I have to say the video did explain everything.  And what they are doing certainly appears to
make sense, certainly from the users perspective.  The problem of course is that as developers we
often want to channel the user.  We develop applications, our users aren't creating a brochure, our
users are manipulating an entire application that their company paid us to develop, which allows
them to do this, and doesn't allow them to do that.  Perhaps the tool bar makes our jobs easier as
developers?

But at the end of the day, unlike Word or Excel or Powerpoint... the tool bars have to go away so
that our applications can channel our users.  Or at the very least the tool bars have to be specific
to what our users are allowed to do inside of our applications.

I was impressed at the level of analysis that went into the design of the tool bars, the amount of
raw data that they can capture using the "assist Microsoft" collection effort.  I ALWAYS say yes to
those questions for this very reason, letting MS kn ow what is being used and how is useful I think,
to them and to me (maybe).