[AccessD] Crossposted - Building a table dynamically -SQL Server

Drew Wutka DWUTKA at Marlow.com
Mon Aug 10 11:32:49 CDT 2009

That's true, if it's not broke, don't fix it.

I was just giving you an idea to think in a different paradigm.

The way I 'flatten it back out' is pretty simple, just using dynamically
created SQL statements that fill in Collection/Class groups in the
business layer.

If what you are doing is strictly database stuff, with no GUI to speak
off (so all logic is just inside the db), then my idea doesn't fit your
issue at all.  My idea relies on a business layer (that would be
utilized in a GUI like ASP, VB or Access).  I didn't realize you were
working strictly within a db, no real 'non-db' interface.

Drew

-----Original Message-----
From: accessd-bounces at databaseadvisors.com
Sent: Sunday, August 09, 2009 1:36 PM
To: Access Developers discussion and problem solving
Subject: Re: [AccessD] Crossposted - Building a table dynamically -SQL
Server

Drew,

How do you "flatten it back out" to pull a million records stored that
way?  And how do you query
the structure.My solution works really well as it is.  I end up with a
database per order, which I
NEED because the client often asks for results from that exact same data
set later (quite common),
when I have only delivered a portion of the records to the client.

Inside each order database I end up with all of the queries and stored
procedures (and data of
course) required to pull the specific records, and specific fields.

I understand what you are doing, but I question whether it would be very
easy to work with both when
  filling the "table" and then when pulling specific records out of the
"table".  It doesn't "feel"
like a solution to this specific problem.

What I was hoping was that someone out there on our lists would have
done something like I am doing,
actually creating a normal table on the fly, but where the table has a
variable set of fields, and
discuss how to do that using temp tables in a stored procedures (in sql
server).  Temp tables might
not even be the right term, a cursor is more what I mean (I think).

I actually got all of this stuff working, but it is not as
straightforward as I would wish.  Perhaps
"if it ain't broke..." might very well apply here.

The information contained in this transmission is intended only for the person or entity
to which it is addressed and may contain II-VI Proprietary and/or II-VI Business
Sensitive material. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender
immediately and destroy the material in its entirety, whether electronic or hard copy.
You are notified that any review, retransmission, copying, disclosure, dissemination,
or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon this information by persons
or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited.