[AccessD] Crossposted - Building a table dynamically -SQL Server

jwcolby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Mon Aug 10 12:24:28 CDT 2009

Well...

 >I didn't realize you were working strictly within a db, no real 'non-db' interface.

I have an access database (should really be .net) that has a simple form with about 5 text boxes and
a button or two.  Server / Database / data table name.  Click, fill the order.  So I can do anything
I have to in Access.  ATM what I actually do is execute stored procedures on the SQL Server.  More
or less.

This whole system was a "work in progress" where I started by doing every single thing manually,
then writing views and stored procedures to automate step one, then automate step 2 another day /
week, then step three etc.  I originally has about a 40 step checklist.  Now I have no checklist,
just a form that I click a button or two.

There are some steps which are asynchronous, i.e. the gross data is pulled for an order, all the
records have to then be exported and run through software running on virtual machines on a different
server.  Depending on the size of the data set this can take a few minutes to many hours, and be run
on one or up to three virtual machines.  Once the external program(s) runs, I have to pull the
processed data back in and "finish" the order.  So it isn't literally "click a button", but it is
getting darned close.  The parts leading up to the export are a set of SPs, and the parts after the
export are a second set of SPs.  The export / import itself is a third set of SPs.  And the final
export to a fixed width file is an Access database that has a link to a fixed named view in SQL
Server and then stuff in the MDB that performs the export.

This whole thing I was talking about is a small part of the very first process (before the major
export).