[AccessD] OT: UK imposes Turks and Caicos rule

jwcolby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Fri Aug 14 14:49:19 CDT 2009

I have always wondered about the dropping the "the" in front of hospital in Britain.

He went to Hospital.

Do you do the same with other location nouns?  I went to Hotel, or I went to train station or I went
to store, or even I went to Doctor?

We do that for school, not sure why there either.

In the US we pretty much always place "the" in front of locations.  I went to the hospital, or I
went to the doctor.