[AccessD] What is the cost

A.D.Tejpal adtp at airtelmail.in
Sat Aug 22 00:28:34 CDT 2009

John,

    In tests conducted at my end (Access 2003 desktop on Win XP),  a single query having third calculated field F_C, referring to other two calculated fields (F_A and F_B) is found to work smoothly. However, even if no error is encountered, such a style is considered risky and a strict No-No, fraught with the potential for inconsistent results under certain combination of circumstances. Sample query named Q_JC_SingleQuery_RiskyStyle as given below, demonstrates this style.

    As an academic exercise, if one were to implement the goal within a single query in a safe manner, it becomes necessary to refer to the expressions of calculated fields F_A and F_B (not their names) in the expression for third calculated field F_C. This approach is demonstrated in sample query named Q_JC_SingleQuery_PreferredStyle as given below.

    However, a single query devised as per previous para tends to become messy. A much neater approach lies in adoption of query upon query, as you have rightly been doing so far. Sample query Q_JC_1 given below represents the first stage, with no cross reference amongst any calculated fields. For its calculated field F_C, final query Q_JC_2 is in a position to safely refer to calculated fields F_A and F_B in the source query Q_JC_1.

    Extra overhead involved in using query on query instead of a single query is not likely to be of any material significance as in any case, the underlying calculations get performed afresh even when a calculated field is referred by name, whether in query upon query or within a single query.

Best wishes,
A.D. Tejpal
------------

Q_JC_SingleQuery_RiskyStyle
Calculated field F_C refers directly to
calculated fields F_A and F_B
==============================
SELECT MyTable.*, IIf([F1] Mod 2=0,True,False) AS F_A, IIf([F2] Mod 4=0,True,False) AS F_B, Not [F_A] And Not [F_B] AS F_C
FROM MyTable;
==============================

Q_JC_SingleQuery_PreferredStyle
Calculated field F_C refers to expressions of
calculated fields F_A and F_B
==============================
SELECT MyTable.*, IIf([F1] Mod 2=0,True,False) AS F_A, IIf([F2] Mod 4=0,True,False) AS F_B, IIf(IIf([F1] Mod 2=0,True,False)=False And IIf([F2] Mod 4=0,True,False)=False,True,False) AS F_C
FROM MyTable;
==============================

Q_JC_1 (First stage query)
No cross-reference between calculated fields
==============================
SELECT MyTable.*, IIf([F1] Mod 2=0,True,False) AS F_A, IIf([F2] Mod 4=0,True,False) AS F_B
FROM MyTable;

Q_JC_2 (2nd stage - Query upon query)
Calculated fields (F_A and F_B) of source query
Q_JC_1 can be referred safely.
SELECT Q_JC_1.*, Not [F_A] And Not [F_B] AS F_C
FROM Q_JC_1;