[AccessD] Access 2010 - Publish To Sharepoint

Martin Reid mwp.reid at qub.ac.uk
Tue Dec 1 02:42:09 CST 2009

What you may find is a market for applications running in Access using data stored within SharePoint. Using web services you can integrate this data into Access applications. I don't really see a need for Access on the web in terms of SharePoint. We simply use .net for this.

One of the major issues with SharePoint and its data is that there is no good front end for it including reporting and queries. Access can do this and in fact I use it as a front end to some SharePoint data. Of course the SharePoint data is actually in SQL Server but its easy to hit using Access even if you simply link to the SharePoint list.

But I would guess in terms of getting access data to the web SharePoint unless you are already using it is a non starter. You could of course look at the free version and see how that will work out. Its worth downloading the betas and installing on Windows 7 or Vista for test purposes. You never know you may like it and see some use for it. It is perhaps the biggest seller in MS history and a lot of companies are using it. Lot of opportunities in the SharePoint market for people with skills and it looks like the future direction of most MS products will be based around SharePoint

>From an application development point of view Access is still unbeatable in terms of desktop applications.

Martin
Martin WP Reid
Information Services