[AccessD] Learning .Net -- PHP Instead?

Jim Lawrence accessd at shaw.ca
Wed Jun 24 14:11:09 CDT 2009

Hi guys:

In the old days, some 30 years back I did a lot of assembler coding and
discovered a very neat technique for returning from a chunk of code back to
anywhere in application. You would just push the address of where you wanted
to return to, on the stack. That was great, as the stack pointer did not
have to be set to return to the caller module. I would first set the return
address to the error handler to trap any errors, in the called module and
then if code completed successfully, the stack pointer was set then set to
any position in the program you wanted to jump to, and then a return byte
was processed.

The assembler, I was using was designed to auto adjust all the changes in
module position. Of course there was no internal documentation (no memory)
other than a ref number to a code book.

This little trick sure saved a lot of code and made the modules very
flexible...

The down side was if you ever lost the code printout and needed to make some
changes, with all its documentation, you were screwed. I ended up being
raked over the coals after someone lost my documentation manual. It took 3
people, 2 weeks to rebuild the code.

At that point, I learned my lesson about the proper methods of using RETURNS
and explicit GOTOs.

Jim