[AccessD] Poll on Access 2007

Jim Lawrence accessd at shaw.ca
Sat Jun 27 21:19:47 CDT 2009

Hi John and William

Much of what you say rings very true.

The most annoying thing is that Microsoft has decided that one of their old
battle tried products will be shipped off to obscurity and exist as little
more than a power-user toy in their office suite.

MS does not understand the complex inter-relationship between her free-lance
developers and her office group. One of their main office proponents has
always been the developer community. We are the people who suggest various
companies buy the full Office Business/Professional package and then we
would design complex applications tailored to their exact needs, using
Access as a FE.

If Microsoft ever fully succeeds in moving us into their .Net world there
will be no reason for us support Office. There is growing selection of
excellent open-source or web based alternatives available.

A couple small companies that I am working with had wondered if they should
buy the next MS Office upgrade. As times are real tight and as their
consultant, I suggested that they try an Open Source alternative, after all
it is free, all the files, other MS Access are fully compatible and if they
really do not like what they are working with, they can just go back,
bite-the-bullet, with no loss. In the interim, I will develop a web-based
database system for them. One company for sure is going to stick with Open
Office and the other is still debating.

I have no way to know if this is a trend or just economics but I feel it is.

I will go one step further in stating that the main reason Windows has
remained a dominate OS is because of its office suite. For most businesses,
Office is the only Desktop Windows product they all use. Linux distros are
getting better with each release and if Microsoft's flag ship starts going
down there are some very fine challengers waiting for their opportunity.

Jim