[AccessD] Poll on Access 2007

Darryl Collins Darryl.Collins at coles.com.au
Sun Jun 28 19:31:09 CDT 2009

"I decided I'd better rise to the challenge and do it, or get left out in the cold."

Whilst I admire your attitude, and indeed I even had the same sentiments, I hope you are backing the right horse here Steve - MS Access has been on the edge before and I think it is now again.

I am largely giving up on Access and focussing on learning SQL Server, ASP.Net and C# these days.

It seems my clients want more and more stuff to be web-based so they can log on anywhere and access their database. It also makes my life a lot easier to support as there is only one nice SQL Server with their databases all on it to manage, rather than dozens of pissy little Access BEs stored on individual PC's all over the place.

Sure I still make most of my motza from advanced VBA work - especially in Excel, but both Excel and Access have gone from being rather elegant and useful tools for development work to far more cumbersome creatures.  And VBA has been left way behind in code development terms.

I do agree with John - it seems there has been far too much focus on 'style' and not enough on substance with Office 2007.  I can honestly say I don't know anyone who loves office 2007 - I know a few who don't dislike it, but for most folks the improvements are not worth the (re)learning and compatibility issues.  I also know a few who are really angry that stuff that used to work great before now doesn't work as expected - these folks are not happy customers of Msoft.

Actually I can't help feeling that the main reason MS introduced the ribbon was to make their product look completely different from all the open source Office products that were popping up.  It was getting hard to see any UI difference between Open Office and MS Office for example.  Now the ribbon screams "MSoft Are Here!" like nothing else.

Just my thoughts...

Cheers
Darryl.