[AccessD] In Memory of Barry Rebell

Arthur Fuller fuller.artful at gmail.com
Fri Mar 13 16:02:00 CDT 2009

I know that some of us programmed in Clipper, so this is not entirely
irrelevant...

Clipper was the language my friend Brian Russell created (with help of
course), and about which I wrote my first two books. The company was called
Nantucket. The little-known reason they chose that name is because they held
all their planning meetings at a restaurant of the same name, before the
company was actually created

The president of the firm, Barry Rebell, recently passed away, causing a
Facebook site to be created in his memory. It is simply amazing. About a
hundred of us "core" Clipper people are once again in touch, exchanging
stories about the various conferences. It's as if no time has passed.
Everyone remembers everyone. What an excellent way to blow a Friday,
reminiscing about times "back in the day". We really had fun together, in
about a dozen different cities, and each time it was as if no time had
passed. It was (and I guess still is) a wonderful community.

Barry was a larger-than-life guy, in more ways than one. Once Clipper
started taking off, Barry bought a Ferrari. This is not  in itself unusual.
What makes it unusual is that Barry weighed easily in excess of 300 pounds.
In fact, he had to get a custom-made driver's seat. Watching him get out of
the car was truly a sight to behold.

He shall be missed.