[AccessD] FMS Article on the new features in Access 2007

Hewson, Jim JHewson at nciinc.com
Fri Mar 20 08:13:11 CDT 2009

Let me explain, hopefully, a little better.
I work for a company that most of the work is for the federal government.  Most of the work that I do is for the military.  One request for proposal (RFP) stipulated that Access 2007 with SQL Server 2005 would be used.  The rationale is that the military and as far as I can ascertain most government agencies have strict rules on what can be placed on the LAN and what can be used over a WAN.
Any "software" developed using tools such as VS2005 must meet a rigorous certification process.  Sometimes this process can take several months.  One example is a "software" product was developed for a base in Utah, the same product was going to be installed in Florida.  The base in Florida must go through the certification process again... taking an additional six months or longer for the approval process.
Office 2007 and SQL Server 2005 are classified as COTS (Commercial-Off-The-Shelf) applications.  By using these two products no approval is needed. This particular contract is to develop an analysis tool to determine the probability a student will complete successfully a given academic course.  This tool will be used at several "school" houses.  It has been in the hands of several researchers (PhD types) for several years.  It is now ready to be deployed.

Is that better?

Jim