[AccessD] AccessD Forum, List, Bottom posting, sigs, etc...

John Bartow john at winhaven.net
Thu Mar 26 09:28:36 CDT 2009

Hi all,
I've been browsing the threads on the above stated issues, all of which have
been concerns throughout the past few years.

My thoughts - which are consistent with past discussions in the Database
Advisors, Inc. board of directors (BoD) meetings:
Forum vs. List:
I am a list person, I am involved in dozens of forums but rarely have time
to check them. I am involved in many more lists and I browse through them
all almost daily. I may not have to respond but I do browse them to keep up
on what's happening on each. So, IMO we will not be abandoning the list
format for at least another year ;o) That said, we have been investigating
the newer technologies available that allow for both seamlessly. There are a
couple of open source applications that show some promise but we haven't
gone as far as testing them yet. (Our lists are run on open source
software.) If we find a forum/list combination that works I doubt there will
be any reason not to move to it. I'm confident from our past discussions
here and on other lists that our membership would financially support a
"best of both worlds" solution. It would take some time and dedication on
the part of a few individuals to make a transition to anything other than
what we are presently utilizing so this would be a concern.

Bottom posting:
Sorry, as much as I like it, let's get real, it isn't going to happen until
someone comes up with a method which makes this easy to implement in MS's
mail products.

Snipping:
Just take the time to snip. It gives you a few more seconds to think before
typing a reply and gives some of us time to cool off and not reply at all
;o)

Signature blocks:
Thanks to you that don't include these monstrosities. We've discussed this
topic ad-infinitum in the past. There's not much we can do about it.

Off topic threads:
I think we are quite lenient with these. If everyone would follow the above
conduct they would be less of a concern. We created a separate list "dba-OT"
just for those that want to chit-chat about politics, stupid people tricks
and life in general. Everyone's invited to post comments there. DBA-OT is
NOT archived at all so your comments are as temporary as email can be. (You
all know "they" are watching us anyway ;o) We have a number of OTer's that
aren't even on the other lists anymore. They've moved on to other things in
their lives or retired but stay on as OTers because it's like a little
family over there, quite a dysfunctional little family but family no less
:-P

I encourage everyone on AccessD to sign up for every list - just set a few
email handling rules to have the messages placed into separate folders. Then
when you feel the need to ask about SQL server, VB or any of its cousins,
VM, Blue Ray, audio cards security issues and other "technical things", or
the latest celebrity gossip you can post it directly to "DBA-SQLServer",
"DBA-VB", "DBA-Tech" or "DBA-OT" rather than AccessD. If everyone did this
we would all have cleaner lists, archives and still have the same
expectations of great responses.

Why are the last three items a concern?:
We essentially have to pay to store our archives and we have no method to
remove all of this junk from the stored messages. This is why we promote
snipping, no sigs, etc This is why we reduced the size limit of the messages
to all lists (we have 15 lists, some for corporate use only but at least 5
public lists with large archives).
I essentially copy and pasted the largest chuck of code, with explanations
included and some discussion about the code, into a text message and checked
the size. It didn't exceed the limit. In fact, I wanted to reduce the size
limit even more but we have some very understanding, kind folk on the BoD
:o)

The moderators have all been advised of these issues and will allow any
relevant posting to go through even if it exceeds the size limit. The key is
to send plain text and if you post something that is extremely long, send a
message to one of the moderators (or to me) that it is relevant and please
allow it to go through. We will. We have the best list master and volunteer
moderators I have ever been involved with. If I could, I would buy them all
a steak dinner at the most exclusive restaurant in Winneconne, WI. for their
great efforts.

If someone can come up with code that will go through our archives and
eliminate all (or even some of) the junk mentioned above that would be
great. It would reduce the size of the archives AND make searching the
archives much easier and give better results. If you just try to imagine
what the search turns up when no one snips out the previous parts of a
thread you can see why this is an issue. You may be searching for a problem
that has one thread but 90 responses with small talk in it and one good
solution. A bit frustrating because the search function will turn up all 90

Feel free to contact me anytime about concerns you have with any of the DBA
lists.

John Bartow, President
Database Advisors, Inc.
Email: mailto:president at databaseadvisors.com