[AccessD] OT: New features on Experts-Exchange

Jim Dettman jimdettman at verizon.net
Fri Mar 27 10:51:16 CDT 2009

Hi All,

  For quite a few years now I've been involved with a web site called
Experts-Exchange.   It is a collaborative site where basically people help
people by answering questions as "Experts" and earn points.  As it's grown,
it has somewhat lost it's small town feel that originally started it all,
but overall it still is a very nice place to hang out.  Some of you may be
aware of the site already (gustav has been there for a while now).  Many of
the Microsoft MVP's call it home as well.

  Currently I am a Zone Advisor and Page Editor for the MS Access Zone.  The
last part is why I'm posting.  EE has always existed with this
question/comment format, but is about to launch new content in the form of
articles.   I was thinking in particular of John and his series on classes
would be a great way to quick this off, but I'm sure many of you if you gave
it a little thought,  could come up with some terrific articles.  The up
side of it for you is your exposure to literally millions of members (well
over three million last I heard).

  There are other features coming down the pike that I hope will make it the
number one site for people looking for answers.  I can't really talk about
all of those at present but I can assure you it is things we'd all find
useful in terms of supporting and helping out people (without giving away
too much, how would the SCRUM team like to post their videos and have a
possible audience of millions?).

  One thing that is still up in the air at the moment is the legalese with
posting content.  EE's legal department is finalizing the TOS related to
posted content now.  It' my understanding that they way it will end up is
that EE will have the perpetual right to use posted content on the site in
whatever way they see fit, but you will retain all ownership rights beyond
that and will be free to publish it else where.  As I said though, this is
not finalized.  When it is, please make sure you review it if you decide to
submit an article and understand what your rights are.  I don't want there
to be any surprises for anyone.

  I should mention that EE covers a wide range of topics; digital living,
philosophy, religion, etc. and not just technical ones.   Also, it is a
subscription site.  However you can earn free premium services easily enough
by getting 3000 Expert Points a month, which at the current time is
ridiculously easy.  It boils down to possibly answering about 5 questions a
month.  There has been some talk about changing that because it is too easy,
but that's the way it is right now.  Otherwise it's $12.95 a month.  I think
though that I can probably get anyone a trial premium membership for a bit
at no charge just so you can check things out.

  They also have been pushing corporate subscriptions for a few years now
and a lot of Fortune 500 companies hang out there, so it's good exposure
there as well and some of you may work for companies that already have
subscriptions without realizing it.

  I'm not trying to take anything away from Access D, but I did want to make
everyone aware of an opportunity to gain some pretty significant exposure.

  If your interested in any of this, just contact me off-list.

Jim.