[AccessD] OT: New features on Experts-Exchange

Gustav Brock Gustav at cactus.dk
Fri Mar 27 12:13:21 CDT 2009

Hi Mike

Mostly you can see the answer if you browse past the zillion adds bugging up the opening page.

Worst thing is that answers are of very "wide" quality due to sometimes really weird questions and "solutions" from a handful of nerds spending all day and night haunting points while not having a life. Also, the in-site search function is close to useless - you have to google most times. Really stupid is that you have to earn 3000 points each month to be granted "expert access" even if you have earned millions of points. And answered questions are not listed! Previously you could browse the answered questions which was fun because you could correct some of the sloppy solutions given.

I browse the questions from time to time when I need something else to think about, that's all. The learning stuff for people like AccessD list members is limited; the "good guys" supplying this are Jim and 3-4 clever guys (no women) who have earned that much points that they don't care anymore.

/gustav

>>> jedi at charm.net 27-03-2009 17:39 >>>
Hi Jim, when ever I search for answers on the Internet invariably there
will be a link to Experts-Exchange.  BUT they want me to pay for the
answer!  Yes I can get a free 7 day trial today but I refuse to pay for
something that I do not know if the answer I get will really work.
Eventually I find my answers elsewhere.

Mike...

> Hi All,
>
>   For quite a few years now I've been involved with a web site called
> Experts-Exchange.   It is a collaborative site where basically people help
> people by answering questions as "Experts" and earn points.  As it's grown,
> it has somewhat lost it's small town feel that originally started it all,
> but overall it still is a very nice place to hang out.  Some of you may be
> aware of the site already (gustav has been there for a while now).  Many of
> the Microsoft MVP's call it home as well.

... snipped by bda law