[AccessD] Linked to SQL Server in a domain

jwcolby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Thu May 21 17:47:46 CDT 2009

Guys,

I am a tad out of my comfort zone here.  I am working on a database that links to a SQL Server using
ODBC.  The database was "upgraded" by another company which is in the process of being fired.  The
links work but I do not know where the DSN file resides.

I created a new database and a DSN for new tables that I created in that database and it works just
fine for me, logged on to the server (which is where I work - remote desktop), but it does not work
for another user that I have helping me test.  Those new links to the new table gives an ODBC error
when she just tries to open the tables directly in the table tab of the db window.

I am assuming that is because the DSN file I used to do the link is not on her computer?  Is that
the way this works?  How do I discover where the DSN file is for the database that existed already
when I first got in?  I tried looking at the TDF cnn data and it isn't referenced in there.

I found this:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/892490

Which looks like the magic key.  Does anyone use this code or something similar?  Any comments,
warnings?

Unfortunately at this point I am not able to log in to any other workstation there to test this code
from another workstation.  I will have to get that figured out as well.

Any help appreciated.