[AccessD] Access2007 Question

Jim Dettman jimdettman at verizon.net
Mon Oct 26 15:47:40 CDT 2009

Tony,

<<If you can produce a sound stable application, it really does not matter
what platform you develop it in. >>

   That's true, but what also works into that is the type of application
that you need to develop.

   It's not the demise of Access; Access will be a round a good long time
I'm sure.  What may die off is VBA (Visual Basic for Applications).

  The problem with that is that you as a developer are limited in what you
can do with Access *if* that were to come about.  Certainly you still would
be able to turn out apps with Access if that indeed did happen.  But things
like calling the windows API, using collections, etc would get thrown out
the window.  That's not to say that macro's won't be enhanced further as we
have already seen (error handling and an editor was added), but using
macro's alone would severely restrict the types of apps that you could
produce.

  It may be that both will exist for a long time to come, but my objection
is that as a true development tool, little improvement is being made and we
are going backwards in several ways.

  For example, how many releases has it been now that:

1. Access can't easily use all 3rd party controls because it never fully
implemented the iDispatch interface (version 2.0)
2. VBA has problems with breakpoints - i.e. code will stop where you had a
breakpoint and then removed it (Access 95)
3. The VBA compiled project gets corrupt - /decompile is needed to bail you
out (Access 95)
4. References break easily (Access 95)

   And the list goes on.  These are all things that should have been fixed
long ago or improved, yet here we are in 2008 and instead of those fixes, we
get more end user functionality.

   That's why it's hard to stay positive about Access from a development
standpoint.

Jim