[AccessD] OT: Virtual PC 2007 (MS), CITRIX XenServer, CITRIX HDX...

Shamil Salakhetdinov shamil at smsconsulting.spb.ru
Mon Sep 21 00:36:38 CDT 2009

Hi John,

Thank you for your reply.
Do you have your three virtual machines running somewhere on a server
available to you via WAN/Internet? If yes, what "Virtual Desktop" program do
you use?

About VPC file size - this is just an experiment here, not sure yet how it
works:

1) I have got installed MS Virtual PC 2007;
2) I have got downloaded MS free trial Windows XP SP3 with IE8 image. Its
size is ~590KB and it's a .rar archive AFAIU;
3) I have got unRARed this archive and its size (.vhd) is ~2.5GB;
4) Using ~2.5 .vhd I created a VPC with 512MB;
5) I have started VPC and I see that its C: drive has 14.9GB in total and
12.5GB free.

>From the last info I assume that VPC can somehow expand virtual HDD when
needed. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

So I assume it shouldn't be a big issue to upload ~600MB-1GB RAR-ed VPC
image (I have a broadband Internet connection here). With VS installed (but
not MSDN and just selected SDK) the RAR-ed image size would be hopefully
around 2GB - it's not that big assuming I will not need to upload it every
day.

Still interested in CITRIX XenServer and CITRIX HDX experience stories.

Thank you.

--
Shamil