[AccessD] OT: Virtual PC 2007 (MS), CITRIX XenServer, CITRIX HDX...

jwcolby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Mon Sep 21 07:06:40 CDT 2009

Shamil,

The machines run on my local server.  I normally use a KVM switch to switch directly to the machine
however it is possible to use Remote Desktop (my preference) or VNC (my second choice) to remote in
to the VMs.  Normally I remote in to the VM server machine and control the VM from there, however
there is no reason remote desktop directly in to the VM itself shouldn't work.  I haven't done that
however.

I use VMWare.  I have installed a MS virtual machine and set it up but it seemed to be much slower
than the VMWare machine.  I never spent the time to find out why.

 > 5) I have started VPC and I see that its C: drive has 14.9GB in total and 12.5GB free.

 >>From the last info I assume that VPC can somehow expand virtual HDD when needed. Please correct
me if I'm wrong.

I am just guessing but I would say that the VM disk is empty and thus compresses well.  I have to
say I find it unbelievable that a VM with XP installed compresses down to 1/2 megabytes though.
Something ls logically wrong there.

In any event, in my case I have a full install with Windows 2003, Office, visual studio, The
application I run, FoxFire etc etc.  My install is about 15 gigs.  It would be an interesting
experiment to see how far that would compress but I suspect the best I'd get would be about 20% of
original size, probably 30% would be more realistic.  Thus the result would be at least 3 gigs or
so.  The size of the virtual disk shouldn't affect the total compressed size since mostly it is
empty disk structure.

 > Still interested in CITRIX XenServer and CITRIX HDX experience stories.

If you can "see" the VM (the IP or machine name) then why would you not use Remote Desktop to
control the machine?  It's free, fast and totally integrated into the OS.  I use Hamachi to create a
VPN into the machine, and then just use RD.  Granted I have only done so to the server, but I would
guess it would work just fine into the VMs as well.