[AccessD] Update

William Hindman wdhindman at dejpolsystems.com
Mon Apr 19 07:24:09 CDT 2010

...in the US, every employer is required to contribute a % of payroll to the
state/federal unemployment insurance fund, the rate varies depending upon
the employer's employment record, those with zero to little turnover getting
the lowest rate ...each terminated employee is eligible for unemployment
insurance payments based upon a % their income up to certain levels (unless
terminated for cause) ...that program is, I believe, currently providing
benefits for upwards of 90 weeks.

...unless an employee is hired under a contract specifying termination
payments as a part of their contract, the employer is not otherwise legally
required to provide any severance under federal law (some state laws differ)
on the grounds that they are required to contribute to the unemployment
insurance fund as noted above ...most large employers, and union contracts,
do provide severance but the amounts vary widely  ...a week for every year
once vested, is typical.

...note that an employee is eligible for the unemployment insurance payments
effective immediately on date of termination even if the employer is
continuing to pay severance during the same period ...and if their income is
below certain levels, additional assistance is available at both the state
and federal levels.

...its of course different here than in EU or Can, we are not a welfare
state ...but we're not the social pariah nation some of these posts would
seem to be assuming us to be.

...not looking for a political discourse, just wanting to clear the air a
bit.

William