[AccessD] Multiple instances of SQl Server express

jwcolby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Mon Dec 20 12:11:50 CST 2010

I have a client using Access BEs which I would like to move to SQL Server Express.  The biggest
issue in my mind is near term expansion.  One reason we need to move is simply that we have already
split the BEs a couple of times to keep the size reasonable.  We have a BE at 850 MB, 750MB and 500
MB.  These are just too big for Access IMHO.

OTOH merging them all back into a single SQL Server express BE would result in a pretty large
database (by Express standards), although it appears that they did increase the SSE 2008 limitation
to 10 gigs.

Is anyone using SS Express to try to run a small business - under 50 employees, ~25 users in the db
most of the day?  Any insights, gotchas, words of wisdom?