[AccessD] The old laptop is slowing down

Dan Waters df.waters at comcast.net
Fri Dec 24 12:12:13 CST 2010

If you're waiting for compiles, you need to change something.

I'd suggest a desktop - one you build yourself that you can easily update.
Get an Intel i950 core (not all that expensive right now ($229 at
http://www.microcenter.com/search/search_results.phtml?Ntt=i7-950&N=0&submit
.x=0&submit.y=0), an SSD drive for the operating system and apps, and maybe
another HD for file storage, and 6/8 Gb Ram.  Get two monitors.  With this
in place you'll be able to do things at least twice as fast as you do now.

Before you spring for any more MS software, look at the Design and
Development Action Pack (https://partner.microsoft.com/40132997).  This
includes VS 2010, SQL Server, W7 64, and many others.  It's $429/year.

I went from a laptop as my dev machine to a desktop with two 1600 X 1200
monitors, and it's a significant difference.  If you spent $3000 on new
equipment + the Action Pack, and you can work twice as fast, how long would
it take to recoup the expense?  Not long I'd bet.

Good Luck!
Dan